permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 3rd ethic; was: What I hope to achieve from this list ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 3rd ethic; was: What I hope to achieve from this list ?
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 08:08:59 -0500

Robyn Francis wrote:
Been following the third ethic threads (current and a month or so ago) and I
would like to share my perspective. I like the simplified catch cry of Earth
Care, People Care, Fair Share, and for me "Fair Share" fully embodies all
the the various versions of the third ethic.

When I introduce Fair Share I begin with the concept of footprints - we live
on a finite planet of finite resources. Fair Share implies living and
working within our ecological footprint, this inherently requires
recognising 'limits to growth and consumption' (both core issues at the
heart of our global woes: GHG emissions, climate change, resource peaks
etc). There is also a social obligation here as when we use more than our
allocated global footprint we're effectively 'stealing' from the capacity of
others to support themselves, in the present and future generations. Fair
Share + People Care implies social equity.
When there is a surplus on one place/system then it needs to be distributed
or cycled in a manner that supports the first 2 ethics otherwise situations
of environmental and/or social pollution/erosion will result.

Terminologies like Footprints weren't around when the early pc books,
including the manual, were written. I would dare to suggest that had this
terminology existed we would see it mentioned and tied to ethic three. World
population has virtually doubled since the the PDM was written, resource
consumption and consumerism have both increased exponentially.

This is wonderful Robyn. More and more people need to embrace these concepts, putting them into practice in more ways, more often, indefinitely into the future.

Now, go read the news at these sources:

Alternet
http://www.alternet.org/

Democracy Now
http://www.democracynow.org/

OpEd News
http://www.opednews.com/

Now, go back and re-read the paragraph above.

After reading the headline articles in those news links
I wondered what an individual can do to help.
Supporting worthwhile organizations and individual activists is one, getting better at networking with like minded people is another.

Evan Schoepke wrote:
> Great comments all around,
> Thanks everyone for the great comments and elaborations on the third
> ethic
> see a whole more of it's meaning than I had previously been acquainted > with!

You can say that again. Permaculture and those who practice it do not have to become political, they already are; that is an accomplished fact.

LL