permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 3rd ethic; was: What I hope to achieve from this list ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 3rd ethic; was: What I hope to achieve from this list ?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:44:14 -0700

"Fair share" has always been implicit in permaculture and in the ethics. I
think that it is an editorially chosen sound bite to match it with the first
two ethics and that it was poorly chosen by whomever. I stated in previous
posts that I don't think that "fair share" does justice to the needs of the
third ethic.

The first two ethics "care of the Earth" and "care of people" incorporate
"fair share" to my view of the word care. Care ultimately leads one to love
of the Earth and people how can it be otherwise? The etymological meaning
is to "lament" which I think is appropriate.

Both of these first two ethics have hidden within the huge task of
understanding the Earth and people, otherwise how can you care for them, in
the caretaker sense of the word? Just understanding soils, a very small
part of earth care and people care for that matter, is a life work! If we
understood people care we wouldn't be in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The third ethic, as I heard it from Bill for over six years in classes, was
"A return of all excess to the care of the Earth and care of people". Again
a loaded ethic! Excess being compostables, wealth, potatoes, fruit, manure
and etc. This ethic would satisfy the biblical gleaning clause plus much
more. Our excess should satisfy the needs column of the "Analysis of
Elements" section of methodology of design. So excess is not just the fruit
of production but the waste products of all our efforts and if those waste
products cannot be used within our system then our design is seriously
flawed.

To my mind this goes far beyond "fair share".

More than $ .02 worth.

Scott Pittman
Director
Permaculture Institute