permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 83, Issue 4

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 83, Issue 4
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 14:42:20 -0500

Permaculture Cooperative wrote:
you can find a lot of people in Australia who have similar views.... got
sold a dream by Mollison and then went to do it, slogged away at it for
years and years, trying really extreme low-input farming systems, and then
realised after nearly killing themselves that a lot of what he told them was
"optimistic" etc... the ideas are great, the ethics (especially Fair Share)
golden, and the framework is highly promising if you are a skilled
gardener/farmer and have a good position in life...

my favorite myth is the "set-up a permaculture garden and then go away and
teach and travel and come back and it will be all good, productive,
in-balance with nature etc" as if set-up of a climax ecosystem is easy or
quick... its equivalent to the perpetual motion machine

That's all negative. You seem to choose this rather than the positive aspects of Mollison's and other's teachings, including turning marginal land into productive food-producing garden space. You have so much material to draw on but instead you post that flavorless pith above, not fit even for Chuthlu's table. Many of your posts have that tone with the unmistakable flavor of spam.

Noone forced those 'unfortunate victims of Mollison's teachings' to
try and fail at implementing his concepts. You know, they actually could have come up with their own ideas and given them a try, listened to their elders and used traditional methods incorporating those with Mollison's. That would have required thinking and working, of course,
a spark of interest and originality.

> my favorite myth is the "set-up a permaculture garden and then go away
> and teach and travel and come back and it will be all good,
> productive, in-balance with nature etc" as if set-up of a climax
> ecosystem is easy or quick... its equivalent to the perpetual motion
> machine

What a thing to say. I am beginning to wonder how interested you actually are in Permaculture.