permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Permaculture TV ... Dr Phil Howard, MSU

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: seaseal <seaseal@got.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Permaculture TV ... Dr Phil Howard, MSU
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:50:58 -0800

Dear Dr. Howard,

RE The food system involves all of
the steps required to produce food
and get it to our plates–from farming and
processing to distribution and consumption.

The food system does not--or should not--end on our plates.

I hope you can draw on past experience, especially at UCSC, to note this. The food system--to be a system--must not end but continue. The process goes through when the food in back to a non-food elemental state via composting or other decomposition processes so it is once again available as food to the soil food web.

I have a small business taking that linear food "system" you describe and extending it to its true circular form.

I support a process where people gather uneaten but harvested food, more deliver it to a local soup kitchen, others help prepare food for the hungry, and then I take food scraps and waste from the plate home to the compost pile and the chickens.

In this way, I complete the circle, returning the nutrients, elements, gases, and other materials back into the soil. I hope to enlarge this project and begin returning compost to the farmers.

Cecile Mills
Revival Alliance
revivalalliance@gmail.com

  • Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Permaculture TV ... Dr Phil Howard, MSU, seaseal, 11/22/2009