permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 82, Issue 37

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kris kaul <kriskaul@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 82, Issue 37
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:25:47 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I was thinking of using rigid foam pieces that can be fit into the
windows as described in the book I have. The idea of having greenhouses
inside greenhouses - i.e., row covers or mini-greenhouses that cover the bed
or specific plants - is one that an innovative farmer nearby has used
successfully in his hoop house to grow greens through the winter. The
greenhouse will have a brick floor and black water drums to store thermal
mass; I'm wondering if anyone has found a better material to store the water
in, for example rectangular so there's not as much heat loss between the
barrels? Can the soil also act as a significant thermal mass if the
container is deep enough?

Kris