permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Donation request for maintenance of this permaculture list.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Donation request for maintenance of this permaculture list.
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:51:48 -0400

Justin Hahn wrote:
i would like to know a break down of the ISP and man-hour costs. i value
this service and would like to see it continue.

It will continue permanently regardless, not to worry. Thanks to ibiblio for
the outstanding hosting.
My DSL costs + an extra email ID are just at $40 per month. Maybe I spend an
hour a month
handling requests and subscriptions, sometimes more. The bulk of the work &
long manhours
maintaining archives is well behind me so future maintenance needs should be
accomplished in
one to two hours a month for the long haul. I value my time at a minimum rate
of $15 per hour.

I do this same job for the NAFEX and Gardenwriters (GWL) lists plus my own
marketfarming
and seedkeepers forums. PCDB, approtech, machinist, scythe and a few more are
such low traffic
as to not require any attention.

I am a full time market farmer (sustainable, natural, biointensive) and rely
on income from that
to sustain me financially. This growing season was a disaster; soil tilth
problems, weeds, almost
complete drought and equipment repairs pretty much amounted to a profitless
spring and summer.
Things are beginning to pick up a little now as my greens crop comes in. Next
Spring, I should
be going full tilt.

Thanks for your interest, Justin.

Lawrence