permaculture - Re: [permaculture] agroblitz

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ben Falloon <benjamin@taranakifarm.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] agroblitz
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:15:22 +1000

On 30/09/2009, at 12:11 AM, Darren Doherty wrote:

just need to Pblitz agricultural lands as well!

G'day

I've been thinking about doing something like this myself...

Sort of a tractor road trip or 'carbon blitz', where we designate a route then put the call out for properties along the way to involve themselves in a 'blitz'. Then organise roving bands of woofers to rendezvous at each property as the tractor / equipment arrive, setup camp then blitz the bejesus out of each place for a couple of weeks.

All along the way video taping the adventures online and bringing in the maximum media attention.

Would be great fun too!

Ben

P.S.

Attached are some notes I knocked up a while back on the proposed project....

Carbon Farm Blitz
10/11

Sequestering carbon on a road trip across australia.

Towing a Caravan with a tractor, plus a load of implements, conducting 'blitzes' on farming properties. Employing mobile 'woofers' / students looking to learn permaculture activities.

Driving the tractor from one location to another, on two or three week stays, conducting keyline plowing, tree planting, orchard installation etc. Blogging the activities and publishing project information and videos online as we go.

Arriving a few days ahead of woofers, making an 'action plan' and organising labour to create maximum impact in minimum time.

Organising local and national media to promote the methods of soil carbon sequestering emphasizing the rise in organic matter in soil and promoting allen yeomans work.

Holding talks at local sustainabiity groups in the given areas, pasture walks, 'working bees'

'enlist' local enthusiasts...

Have LIST of activities that we can achieve at each job, so that we don't go into a project at a lost. Activities might include building compost (jean pain - perhaps that can be our 'shower' + out inoculant compost for tea application, surveying contours and putting in land features to encourage contour farming, orchards, tree planting etc. Then on each job, select appropriate activities and plan the couple of weeks out to include those.

Finding sources of sustainable food. Much like on river cottage series... The first and important task that you could be responsible for. Local farmers, milk, road kill, fishing, wild food. The trip could be 'templated' then... meaning it's the same routine / process at each destination.

We could also develop some kind of mobile 'shed' for repairs, or preparations. So of a canvas annex that might extend from the caravan.

Lots of kids helping with trees or making compost tea or whatever. we could have a full program for the two weeks, where one day is especially kid friendly.

---------

We could plot out 'tours' and look to garner 'clusters' of properties interested in 'treatments'. Creating a web site centered on a calendar, and moving from one 'booking' to the next training people in the methods of keyline and permaculture.

EQUIPMENT

- Tractor
- Keyline Plow
- Laser Level