permaculture - [permaculture] FW: how to acquire land

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Redding, Trudie A" <tredding@mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] FW: how to acquire land
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:58:18 -0500

You did not say what part of the country or climate you like, about 1998 I
bought nine acres in san saba county tx on top of a hill, but its level when
you get up there, no water rights, Colorado River below me, the small strips
near the water are swampy and expensive, some friends heard me talking and
bought land down the hill walking distance from mine, theirs included access
to the water and a metal well made tractor garage it looks like. Their land
was 42000, mine 10000
I have been just letting it lie fallow now that no cows can get to it,
(stricter rules apparently because of cattle diseases have limited their
access to others land, I think) At first it was covered with old couches etc
a fallen water tower and shack that in hindsight I wish I had reinforced, but
hey no money. I've been watching the land shift, I brought some aloe vera and
planted it, it had a peach tree and some local fruit trees, I mean, it has
everything, it is not farmland per se nor pecan tree land, and the area is
known for droughts that cause humankind to leave every 16 years or so so the
pop stays low. It has a grotto, with sandstone rocks that shift, it has one
small pond lined with the clay that the prev owner found on the land and put
in it, it really needs a 12 foot deep pond in order to make it through most
droughts I think. The way I found it; I was looking for something without
zoning laws, outside of the pop triangle of Houston, Dallas, Austin, because
East is filling up quick, this land is 90 mi I think Northwest of Austin, it
had been divided up into 9 acre parcels to build a subdivision, roads were
laid, elec poles put up, then nobody bought. 30 yrs go by, the zoning laws
are defunct
There is a back way to travel to N Dallas area if I want to see relatives and
friends in the region. I've never done a durn thing with the land, and am now
carless by choice so I could pay off my house, so I never go there,
wintertime is best, no chiggers, anyway, the point is, think of what you are
looking for and yes, you get pleasure just knowing the land is no longer
being destroyed. I have researched trusts a little, but it looks like it
takes a lawyer...I was not able to get a loan at banks in the city, they want
the loan to be for "building a house while paying for land" so I found one
that said yes to a loan "for just plain land with no plans" in a small town
called Goldthwaite north of my property. Be sure to keep the Permaculture
list posted with your adventure, that Wisconsin information sounds very
promising.
Trudie