permaculture - Re: [permaculture] does perennial kale grow in your area?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] does perennial kale grow in your area?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:42:08 -0700

Throughout last winter I ate from two varieties: Dinosaur kale and Russian red kale. It was the coldest Seattle winter in 19 years; thirteen degrees F (about -10 C )on several mornings with snow in between. The snow broke off branches from the Russian but it was otherwise OK. The dinosaur kale wasn't even fazed. As far as it and the collards were concerned it might as well have been raining. The dinosaur kale was the last to get bitter in the spring. It's an all around great plant: tasty once it freezes, nice to look at, hardy as can be. I don't know about perennial, I've never let it grow beyond second year seed stage.