permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Composting Biodegradeable Plastic Bags

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ben Martin Horst <ben.martinhorst@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Composting Biodegradeable Plastic Bags
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 21:55:51 -0700

I've seen a lot of plastics -- synthesized usually from corn but sometimes
from potatoes -- that are labeled as "compostable." Usually this requires an
industrial composting process, utilizing temperatures significantly higher
than are usually achieved in a backyard compost pile. They'd probably still
break down even at low temperatures, but it could be a matter of years, or
even decades, but as far as I've been able to tell, it is a true
biodegradation, not just breaking down into tiny bits. There are some other
products on the market that will break down relatively ("relatively" being
the key word) quickly in a normal compost pile ... BioBag is a company that
makes these.

But in any case, lbsaltzman's point is the important and fundamental one.
The amount of fossil-fuel derived energy required to grow the feedstock and
manufacture the things has got to override any other positive attributes.
BioBag claims that they don't use any GMO corn in their products, but vast
tracts of monocropped corn can't be considered sustainable by any reasonable
definition, whether GMO or not, or even whether organic or not.
Additionally, I'd be willing to bet that a significant proportion of the
compostable trash bags out there are going into landfills, where they're not
going to break down anyway.

I tend to be fairly pessimistic about environmental trends among the general
public, but I honestly think that reducing bag use is one area where US
Americans are making huge strides. Yes, there is still waaaaaaay too much
plastic (and paper) being produced for the exclusive purpose of wrapping our
refuse to go linger in a landfill for all eternity ... I don't dispute that.
But it's pretty impressive how many people I see taking their tote bags and
sturdy reusable grocery bags with them shopping these days, and it's not
just liberal greenies either. No, it's probably not enough to have any major
or even minor environmental impact, at least from a global perspective, but
even as short a time as five years ago I wouldn't have guessed this would be
a direction the American public was trending.

-Ben

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Louis G. Laframboise <esiobmarfal@gmail.com