permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Which books?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Which books?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 18:47:06 -0600

Alan,

I would second my cousin, John Thomas's, thoughts. Learning from people close to where you live is a wonderful idea, and if there is a PDC in your neighborhood, consider taking it. As for books, no matter where you are, the "Big Book" is a good place to start.

Observing, too, is a very good idea. I watched my land for two years before I did much more than plant a few trees.

What may be a wonderful design strategy for one place may be inappropriate for another. I know lots of books appropriate to tropical climes, which is where I am. You have not said where you are.

If you are in a temperate climate, the best of the books that I have read would be Toby Hemenway's book, "Gaia's Garden", which is well written and very informative. Toby is also a very nice guy.

Best wishes,

Christopher