permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Toby's post on Autumn olive

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ben Martin Horst <ben.martinhorst@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Toby's post on Autumn olive
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:09:56 -0700

Besides "Tending the Wild," an excellent text on native plant use and
ecological management in the Pacific Northwest is "Keeping it Living,"
edited by Douglas Deur and Nancy Turner. It may not touch directly on
distinctions between native and non-native plants or invasive and
non-invasive ones, but it does a great job at blurring the lines between
"wild" and "domesticated" species. The essays in the book hammered home for
me the realization that humans can live as an aloof, separate, domineering
species, or, as was the case for the native peoples of Cascadia, integral
keystone members of their ecosystems. Sure, there are species we shouldn't
plant willy-nilly, but humans can be pretty good at discerning where and
when a species makes a healthy partner to a local ecosystem. In my opinion,
autumn olives dotting the landscape here and there, helping heal the soil
and providing some awfully yummy berries for birds and humans, is vastly
preferable to the truly invasive "ecosystems" our culture has covered vast
areas with. I'm speaking, of course, of the vast monocropped stands of
maize, wheat, and other cereals.

Ben