permaculture - [permaculture] Practical Primitive Workshops in Clifton, TX

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Practical Primitive Workshops in Clifton, TX
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:24:18 -0500

Practical Primitive courses are being offered in Clifton, TX
June 12-14 covering the topics of medicinal plants, trapping,
backwoods hygiene and first-aid,

My daughter and I will be attending and looking for a carpool possibility out of the Austin area. Let me know if will be attending and want to share a ride! email me at forestgarden@gvtc.com.

Marjory Glowka

Medicinal Plants

Begin your journey into unlocking the powerful medicines that the plant kingdom has to offer as you prepare your own tincture, salve, lotion, decoction and infusion to take home with you. We'll cover all the basics, including where to find your ingredients (both in nature and online), the materials you'll need for your preparations, and some of the indispensable resources that will assist you as you continue on this new and exciting path. This class will open up a whole new world to you, as you develop a deeper understanding of the ways in which we all can learn the language of our plant brothers and sisters.

June 12 Clifton, TX $95

Traps, Simplified

In a survival situation you can increase your odds of obtaining food many times over by knowing how and where to set traps. But a book full of nice trap pictures that are applicable to specific situations is usless information unless you are prepared to memorize each & every one! Instead, learn the few basic principles that apply to ALL traps, both man and animal. Once these are understood you will be capable of devising your /own/ traps as environments, materials & situations dictate. Go beyond the basics of the Figure-4 and Paiute deadfalls as we study animal habitats, and which traps are most effective under what circumstances.
NO ANIMALS (or humans) WILL BE HARMED IN THIS CLASS!

/./
June 13 Clifton, TX <http://www.practicalprimitive.com/locations.html#clifton> $ 95

Backwoods Hygiene & Improvised First Aid

Good hygiene is even more important when you are out in the woods than it is when you are at home and the importance of proper sanitation in a backwoods or survival situation can not be overstated --- more people become sick from a "casual" attitude toward hygiene and sanitation than from almost anything else!
This new workshop will teach you how and where to dig a latrine, ways to keep your perishables safe, plants that can be used as soaps and several other simple rules that will help you keep your food, your camp and your self in a state of safe cleanliness.
But what if you're out in the back country and something DOES go wrong? Learn how to improvise bandages, deal with cuts and wounds using some "must-know" medicinal plants, and amazing alternative uses for common bathroom items that should always be in your backpack or GO Bag.
/*NOTE:* The improvised first aid techniques taught in this workshop have been used and proven effective by our good friend Mark Wright throughout his 20 year career as an Independant Duty Corpsman with the US Navy. As with all of our workshops, we only teach what we KNOW!/

June 14 Clifton, TX <http://www.practicalprimitive.com/locations.html#clifton> $95