permaculture - [permaculture] Volunteer Eco-Builder/Handyman Sought for Ethiopia Permalodge Project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alex McCausland <alex1mcc@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture_uk@yahoogroups.co.uk, p <permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org>, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, permalearnersuk@yahoogroups.com, Dan Palmer <darnample@gmail.com>, Rosemary Morrow <rowe@lisp.com.au>, Rosemary Morrow <rowemorrow@gmail.com>, Guy Rees - Permaculturalist <guyrees@btinternet.com>, Suzi <world@permaculture.org.uk>, Andy Wood <andrewjameswood@btinternet.com>, Andy Goldring <andyg@permaculture.org.uk>, Geoff Lawton <geoff@permaculture.org.au>, Craig Mackintosh|PRI <craig@permaculture.org.au>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Volunteer Eco-Builder/Handyman Sought for Ethiopia Permalodge Project
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 22:02:18 -0700 (PDT)

Strawberry Fields Eco Lodge in the Konso Special Woreda, Southern Ethiopia
seeks volunteer sustainable builder/handy-man to assist with maintenance and
minor construction tasks as well as some training and supervision of project
staff and local workers. Food, accommodation and pocket money provided (and
possibly internet access too)!
Strawberry Fields Eco Lodge is a community oriented business operating in
rural south Ethiopia in Konso Woreda, an area noted for its unique local
culture and indigenous agricultural system, but suffering from repeated food
insecurity due to re-occurring droughts in the last 50 years. SFEL promotes
community well-being through Permaculture design training and consultancy
services delivered to local schools, as well as though developing community
based tourism activities to generate alternative income for the community
grass-roots. The project combines a lodge, farm, organic restaurant and
Permaculture school as well as organising off-site trekking and cultural
activities.
More information on SFEL and its objectives:
http://www.glinet.org/inspiredetail.asp?id=7641
http://www.permacultureusa.org/2009/02/04/spotlight-on-ethiopia/
http://changemakers.net/en-us/node/20212
Our website is here: www.permalodge.org but we are still working on it and it
needs some time...
Strawberry Fields now seeks someone with significant experience in
sustainable building practises (e.g. mud building, composting toilets, basic
solar water heating systems, basic solar electric systems, thatch
construction, interior decor with local cultural and natural materials.) You
will assist with general maintenance tasks and with completion of remaining
small construction works which are necessary on the site which include
finishing off of compost toilets and shower facilities, some interior works
and carpentry, maintenance of stone wall terracing, and completion of some
mud walled service buildings. You will work together with local technicians
and labourers giving them the chance to develop new skills, experiencing
Konso’s indigenous artesian skills, most notably stone wall terracing and
thatch and mud construction. However they will be required to supervise and
direct local tradesmen to produce work according to spec. as required for
standards on the lodge, in ways to which they are often un-accustomed in the
local villages. You will also be asked to assist with purchasing materials
and to assist with store operation for the project.
Requirements:
-          Significant experience with sustainable building practises,
preferably in a rural environment (some but not necessarily all of the
above-mentioned).
-          Some experience in a supervisory role in construction works.
-          A tough character and willingness to rough it, but at the same
time an appreciation of standards and the western mentality – i.e. the needs
of lodge guests.
-          An interest to learn about a new culture, language, learn/teach
new skills, and become part of a rural community for a few months.
Re-imbursement:
-          Live and eat with the project staff (room and board)
-          Internet time 1/2 hour per day (if connection established on site)
-          100Br ($10) pocket money per week (enough for a few drinks each
evening, or a trip to Arbaminch on the weekends).
To start: ASAP
Length of position 3 – 6 months, depending on you.
Please submit a CV with two references to alex1mcc@yahoo.com