permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Gleying and such

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Gleying and such
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 06:46:31 -0600

Alice Atwater, in her revelatory book "Water A Natural History" writes that
the tight rhizosphere of the great plains grasses disallowed any rainwater
passing through to recharge the lower aquifer, particularly the Oglalla.

She says it was only through the Buffalo wallows, and the prairie dog
colonies that a window of opportunity was created for water to percolate
below the root zone.

Gleying is another of those wonderful examples of man's beneficial use of
nature's lessons. If you drain a leaky pond and fence a bunch of cattle, or
hogs inside and spot feed and water them throughout the pond for a couple of
weeks and then slowly allow the pond to refill (remove live stock first!) it
will often seal and hold water thereafter. I certainly doesn't hurt to add
expansive clay to the manure urine mix the last couple of days and have that
trampled in also.

Gley derives from the Russian glei, or Polish glej which describes a bluish
gray clay which forms at the bottom of ponds.

This is typified by the presence of a gelatinous matrix, gliobacteria.

Another way of sealing ponds that is more difficult in these "Homeland
Security" days is shocking them. This takes some calculations but a
judicious amount of explosives are placed in the pond and set off. The
shock waves of the explosion force sediments and organic material into any
seeps and sometimes seal the pond, or, of course, the opposite could happen.

Scott Pittman

Director

Permaculture Institute

www.permaculture.org