permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Suitablility of clay for building ponds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dick Pierce <dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Suitablility of clay for building ponds
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 16:26:46 -0500

Is the answer - "gleying or glaying" (sp?) the pond? Manure, particularly
pig manure as I recall, is a good pond liner/sealer. Again my recall is to
dig the hole, let the pigs poop in it, and let them wallow in it - pressing
and troweling the manure into the soil (assume clay).

I lived for a time in Boulder, CO, USA and was fascinated in a chain of
small lakes - a couple were Boulder's water supply - that were referred to
as "Buffalo Wallows." They are on the start of the Prairie, just east of the
last of the Rockies where a lot of mountain melt water flowed onto the
plains. As the ponds dried up after the spring melt, the Buffalo would
wallow, and I assume poop liberally, in the mud. Over time/decades/centuries
these became very tight ponds. As I recall, much of the prairie in the area
was quite sandy, so the Buffalo and their poop did a great job.

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:57 AM, christopher nesbitt <
christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org> wrote:

> The term for biological barriers is "gley"ing the pod.
>
> http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/41782/How_to_create_a_pond_with_gley.htm
> On May 5, 2009, at 4:57 AM, Dieter Brand wrote:
>
> > My soil is about 2 to 3 feet of yellow clay mixed with stones on top
> > of a thin layer of grey clay which is formed on top of the rock
> > bed. Sorry, don't know the technical names for these types of clay.
> >
> > Anyway, the yellow clay will dry out slowly during the dry season
> > through capillary action, surface evaporation and plant
> > transpiration. However, some of the humidity in the yellow clay
> > layer will slowly percolate down the hillsides through water lines
> > on top of the grey clay which is 100 % water-impermeable and which
> > therefore doesn’t let through any water.
> >
> > I made a number of water catchments by excavating the soil down to
> > the grey clay and by using some of the grey clay to form a barrier
> > downstream. This forms a catchment hole fed by waterlines from
> > upstream that doesn’t let through a single drop of water
> > downstream. I lined the catchment holes with large stones to
> > prevent the grey clay from washing out and to prevent the water from
> > getting cloudy. The position of the intake tube assures that the
> > water in the catchment hole is always at a certain level so that
> > there is no risk of cracking in the clay when it gets dry. Except
> > for the tubing, I only use materials found on-site.
> >
> > Upstream of the water catchment, I made a large hole which I filled
> > with coarse sand, pebbles, small and large stones to filter the
> > water before it goes into the catchment. We have a lot of white
> > quartz stones on our land which are ideal for that purpose. I
> > planted different types of plants into this natural filter so that
> > the roots spreading between the sand, pebbles and stones may take up
> > impurities in the water. I cover the catchment holes to prevent
> > evaporation during the summer.
> >
> > The algae, frogs etc. in the water catchments provide a biological
> > environment that is beneficial for the garden soil which I irrigate
> > with that water. With a daily flow-through of a few thousand liters
> > in winter and a few hundred liters in summer, I'm not unduly worried
> > about nasty things that may develop in stagnant water.
> >
> > What do you mean by a “two acre foot pond”? Is that a pond of two
> > acres surface area with a depth of one foot? That wouldn’t be of
> > much use in my opinion. It would be like a paddy field which you
> > can do when you have more than enough water anyways.
> >
> > Dieter Brand
> > Portugal
> >
> > PS: In France and some of the other Celtic regions they used a
> > technique for making a pond impermeable by a microbial layer made
> > from organic materials. I can’t remember the name (that’s what old
> > age does to you ;-)) nor how exactly this organic layer is formed
> > (perhaps by compressing manure and straw???). I never used it
> > because it can only work if the pond is permanently filled with
> [...]

DickPierceDesigns@gmail.com
SE-NE (summer) & Austin, TX (winter) cell- 512-992-8858

Please check out www.permie.us
Sept 12-13 -2-day PC Basics - MV-MA
Sept 14-25 -12-day PC Design -MV-MA
Sept 26- Nov -10-day PDC Design