permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Walls for raised garden beds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Walls for raised garden beds
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 08:14:00 -0700

Rocks. Nothing beats rocks. Nothing. No cresote (railroad ties). No
toxic gick (pressure treated wood). No natural toxins (cedar).

I've built heaps and heaps of raised beds in all sorts of places. I shoot
for two feet deep but sometimes settle for just a foot deep. Rocks are the
best. Sometimes I settle for certain woods.

I just spent three weeks with the ultimate permaculture dude: Sepp Holzer.
He builds his raised beds to a little higher than shoulder height. And he
insists (which is his way) that a little higher than shoulder height is THE
height. I don't know german, and there was some of his language that the
interpreters refused to translate, but when pressed about other heights, I
think I picked out "dumbkopf" (I think the translation is closer to
"dumbass" than what the translators on hand said: "I would not do it that
way.")

Sepp is so cool.

Anyway, here were these raised beds about six feet tall and what sorts of
walls did Sepp use? Nothing! Dirt! According to Sepp, this is the best
place to plant stuff! One you get your polyculture rolling there, the
plants will hold the dirt in place.

Moving back to wood: yes, there are lots of woods I have used in the past.
And my favorite is black locust. Although I was concerned about using them
Toby set my mind at ease:
http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/224_0/organic-practices/what-makes-black-locust-last-so-long-is-it-safe-for-gardens