permaculture - [permaculture] Transition Town Initiative US

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Transition Town Initiative US
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:20:52 -0800

Transition Town Initiative US is apparently growing quickly in the US. No news there. My newly-formed neighborhood group in Seattle has made application to join with them as an official site. This action is complicated by the issue of non-profit status as we are also a part of the Puget Sound region umbrella group, SCALLOPS. They and TI US are, or soon will be, US tax exempt organizations. So it seems we must be either fish or fowl.

This issue is of interest to several groups in the area. As I have researched the TI US group and its adoption by Post Carbon Institute I have created more questions than I have had answered. In particular, the sudden demise of PCI's Relocalization outposts has raised more than one eyebrow. So far, no one I have talked to in the region's existing sustainability groups has any idea of what the relationship between PCI and TI US means for their group, if anything. But there is a consensus that there's no time to reinvent the wheel nor form competing camps. There are groups in our area that have been active for nearly forty years and would like to amplify their efforts but not at the expense of entanglements they don't understand.

Post Carbon Institute is rather new on the scene and we really don't know much about it or Julian Darley, its founder. Any comments that could enlighten us are appreciated.

--Tom Allen