permaculture - [permaculture] oil and other facts of life

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: nicholas@themediasociety.org
  • To: pil-pc-oceania@lists.permacultureinternational.org, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] oil and other facts of life
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:35:04 +1100

>Why is every one concerned with global warming when oil peak is the only
>problem
Martin, peal oil actually wont be a problem. Synthetic fuel can be
made from natural gas *600 years worth* and coal *2000 years worth*..
ask any old car lover or engineer and you'll find synthetic fuel was
made from gas and coal during the Great Depression, WW2 etc.. the
Nazis powered their war effort, South Africa does it now, synthetic
diesel...
http://nsl.caltech.edu/energy.html

the idea that climate change is not real... well...

Climate change is undoubtedly the greatest challenge the world has
ever faced. For many, just coming to terms with the scale and scope of
the problem, let alone acting upon it, can be a deeply confronting
experience.

Outright denial that climate change is happening, however, is
increasingly being swept to the political fringe. Public knowledge
about the science and the impacts of climate change has become too
widespread for the denialists to be taken seriously any longer.
http://climateandcapitalism.com/?p=595

>followed by nuclear war
I agree, this is a huge problem... possibly the biggest. But how does
permaculture help this ? do you include peace activism or no-nuclear
activism into your permaculture designs and systems ? if so, I think
its a good idea. Considering Australia is a major source of nuclear
material, when the next nuke explodes, it may well be source from
Oz...

>Isn't it about time we got back to permaculture?
do you have your permaculture garden inside a nuclear bunker, your
climate change proof biosphere ? if so, is it fortified so that when
your neighbors are starving you will be able to fight them off?
>and the roots of this planet?
if you mean, planetary level permaculture, than I totally agree

>http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=s8jw-ifqwkM&feature=related
>war is over John Lennon
sadly, again, the opposite is true... remember the Great Depression
didnt end with the New Deal, it ended with World War 2.. if you
adovocating broad based peace activism, I agree with you

>Do not think-ACT
like Nike's just do it ?

Every twenty-four hours, thirteen million tons toxic chemicals are
released across the globe; 200,000 acres of rain forest are destroyed;
more than one hundred plant or animal species go extinct; and 45,000
humans (mostly children) starve to death. Each day, 29,158 children
under the age of five die from mostly preventable causes
?
how will permaculture (as a gardening system, which seems to be the
convention) stop the above ? I think its pretty clear that
permaculture needs to scale-up... we are seeing this with the
Transition movement,... happening on a national scale now..
are you advocating permaculture link with the Global Justice Movement
by finding solutions with the GLobal South ? if so, I agree this is
the next step

indeed, the World Social Forum is happening in the Amazon later this month
http://www.fsm2009amazonia.org.br/wsf2009-amazon/action-goal
Ten goals guide the actions of the 9th WSF

The several activities self-managed of the WSF must be carried through
around one of the ten goals to follow, proposed by organization and
groups of organization during the process of registration for the
event.

The goals were defined after an extensive public consultation to
various organizations and entities participating in the WSF process.

1. For the construction of a world of peace, justice, ethics and
respect for different spiritualities, free of weapons, especially
nuclear ones;

2. For the release of the world domain by capital, multinationals
corporations, imperialist, patriarchal, colonial and neo-colonial
domination and unequal systems of commerce, by canceling the
impoverish countries debt;

3. For universal and sustainable access to the common property of
mankind and nature, for the preservation of our planet and its
resources, particularly water, forests and renewable energy sources;

4. For the democratization and independence of knowledge, culture and
communication and for the creation of a system of shared knowledge and
acquirement with the dismantling of Intellectual Property Rights;

5. For the dignity, diversity, ensuring the equality of gender, race,
ethnicity, generation, sexual orientation and elimination of all forms
of discrimination and caste (discrimination based on descent);

6. For ensurance (during the lifetime use of all people) of the
economic, social, human, cultural and environmental rights,
particularly the rights to food, health, education, housing,
employment and decent work, communication and food security and
sovereignty;

7. For the construction of a world order based on sovereignty,
self-determination and on people's rights, including minorities and
migrants;

8. For the construction of a democratic emancipator, sustainable and
solidary economy, focused on every people and based on ethical and
fair trade;

9. For the construction and expansion of truly local, national and
global democratic political and economic structures and institutions,
with the participation of people in decisions and control of public
affairs and resources;

10. For the defense of the environment (amazonic and others
ecosystems) as source of life for the planet Earth and for the
originary peoples of the world (indigenous, afro-descendent, tribal
and riverine), that demand their territories, languages, cultures,
identities, environmental justice, spiritually and right to live.