permaculture - [permaculture] Organic gardening in a slum in Kenya

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sarah <sarah52blue@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Organic gardening in a slum in Kenya
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:15:40 -0800 (PST)

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?from=hp_video_more

>From Marimike6@cs.com Tue Jan 13 14:32:09 2009
From: Marimike6@cs.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:32:00 EST
To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [permaculture] media ecology die-off

Thanks for the topic, Nicholas. The demise of newspapers is very real. What
has happened is a result of mergers and acquisitions as much as anything.
Predators will accumulate huge debt burdens to acquire newspapers and chains,
like
Knight-Ridder or McClatchy. Once acquired, the burden is on those papers to
finance all the debt accrued in gobbling them up. And the numbers just won't
support it.

My home town paper is a McClatchy paer, and once a very good one. But when
they were acquired the first thing they did was to lay off staff across the
board, including reporting staff. That means, fewer pages and fewer
column-inches.
So the paper shrinks and has to hike subscription prices. That means more
people discontinue getting it, and things continue to snowball downhill.

The first one to go down the tubes like this was the LA Times.. still
publishing but a pale shadow of its former self. Now the Chicago Tribune's
about to
fall apart. Plus, as Nicholas mentions, the Seattle P-I.

This is a very real danger for our democracy, which depends on the public's
being well informed of events in the world. Of course, that public is already
in large part informed by cable television.. and on first name terms with
Jennifer, Brad and a host of other faux personalities.

We should be preparing ourselves to defend against content ownership and
control on the internet. That's the last frontier to be won, for those who
would
like to see us all blissful and content with corporate-sponsored, prepared
daily infotainment. The stalking horse there, I think, will be the idea of
intellectual property rights.

It's always something new. 20,000 years ago it was saber tooth tigers you had
to watch out for. Now it's adverse buyouts and corporate downsizing.

  • [permaculture] Organic gardening in a slum in Kenya, Sarah, 01/13/2009