permaculture - [permaculture] media ecology die-off --and more

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: seaseal <seaseal@got.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] media ecology die-off --and more
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:52:53 -0800

I did research on the issues of centralization and distribution-- these two opposite forces are natural when looking at the big picture.

We will see in real life what we see in Permaculture: increasing the edge will increase diversity. Decreasing diversity weakens the core.

As the large supermarkets folded in my town (Albertsons, Lucky), small, Mexican specialty stores opened up--some for fresh fruits and vegetables, others for breads and pastries, a new one for dried vegetables and fruits, and another that's only a meat market.

Next, a Wal-Mart SuperStore made inroads for a proposed 200,000 square foot store. This would, of course, put all the smaller guys out of business. Then, who knows.

We saw this centralization and distribution with banks. Once upon a time, banks opened late and closed early to the extent the term *Bankers' Hours* had meaning. Now, one can bank whenever, distributed in time and space via the internet or an ATM (a telling term if I ever heard one).

I'm not afraid of this process and only hope I'm able to learn enough to survive the centralization periods. The power resides in those of us who recognize the processes and use them to strengthen our lives.

RE: have posted below about the media ecology die-off... what we will be left
with, like in finance, will be a few very large corporations, almost nothing
in between, and many, many tiny micro media enterprises

advertisers will have increased power in this new media landscape, with
increased product placements and effect over programming... the public
relations industry will become even more of a dominant force

Cecile
seaseal@got.net

"Life is a hard battle anyway, and if we laugh
and sing a little as we fight the good fight of
freedom, it makes it all go easier. I will not
allow my life's light to be determined by the
darkness around me!"
--Sojourner Truth

  • [permaculture] media ecology die-off --and more, seaseal, 01/13/2009