permaculture - [permaculture] re toby and marjorie's comments

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: seaseal <seaseal@got.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] re toby and marjorie's comments
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:11:45 -0700

RE:
Marjory wrote:
The absolute best thing you can do for your community is to quit teaching until you have implemented a design that provides at least half of your food and income needs, and all of your shelter and water needs.

Toby wrote:
A permaculturist always has multiple ways of meeting important functions. If someone is a great builder
and a lousy gardener, it would be foolish for them to beat their head against the wall trying to grow food.

The ways of growing food and flowers (don't forget the flowers) can also be gained through trade, barter, sharing space, creating a community garden--with the permaculturalist doing the outreach, fundraising, and publicity perhaps.

I'm enrolled in my local community college to learn more Horticultural skills. I'm a generalist when it comes to growing things, so I felt the need to learn more. I also take Permie classes and participate in the local Permaculture Guild to do hands-on permie work on weekends at folk's places.

I encourage everyone to use what skills they have, as these will fit like a jig saw puzzle with those whose skills are different. Our diversity is our strength.

And be sure to be planting flowers: they attract native bees and other insects vital to pollination, balancing pests with beneficials, maintaining diversity, and feeding the birds and the bees while enriching our spirits.

Cecile

seaseal@got.net

Coming together is a beginning,
staying together is progress, and
working together is success.

  • [permaculture] re toby and marjorie's comments, seaseal, 10/31/2008