permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Passionflower fruiting in VT!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Wages" <jwages@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Passionflower fruiting in VT!
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 18:11:31 -0500

I just finished compiling an Index to Volumes 24-40 of The Permaculture
Activist, and I remember an article (Vol. 26, p. 48) about hybrid
Passiflora (incarnata x edulis) developed at the U. of Georgia (I believe).
These hybrids combined larger, tastier fruit with cold tolerance. Does
anyone know what happened to this breeding project?

We have maypops here. They sprout in odd places from extensive underground
root systems. When I was a kid, they could always be found in late summer
in hedgerows and along the margins of soybean fields. I have several
plants that I'm encouraging. One climbs a pear, and another a willow.

If anyone would like seeds, let me know, and I'll send some. They're not
specially selected varieties...just those native to this area (northeast
MS: hot, humid summers with long, dry spells; mild winters, Zone 7b)..

John Wages
148 Road 199
Tupelo, MS 38801

these (p. incarnata Maypop) here in northern Vermont as die-back perennials
(we're traditionally considered 4a/ 3b, although are increasingly behaving
as zone 5). Awesome flowers, inconsistent pollination, but I have had some
fruit set and haven't hand pollinated (yet!).