permaculture - [permaculture] Developing a permaculture pre-design process for collapse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Developing a permaculture pre-design process for collapse
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:56:13 -0500

Here is some information surplus to share.

We are conducting a series of workshops in the Oklahoma City area to look at the challenges we would face in the event of a collapse of the food, economic, and energy production and distribution infrastructures. The goal is to eventually produce a detailed contingency plan for the area to respond to such a situation.

One of the lessons of the Katrina/Gustav episodes is that a plan can make the difference between a disaster and a manageable situation. In the absence of an adequate plan, emergent responses may make a bad situation even worse (as happened with Katrina). My idea is that permies should "get there the firstest with the mostest" in the event of collapse, and thus perhaps be able to head of more authoritarian responses.

But that requires a plan, and "while the disaster unfolds" is the worst time to develop a plan. "The time to build the cellar is before the tornado hits."

Our first planning workshop was held September 20, 2008.

I have established a web page to collect the accumulating resources we are developing and make them available to folks elsewhere who may decide to conduct a similar planning process for their areas.

http://www.energyconservationinfo.org/okcmutual.htm .

The brainstorming charts that we developed at our workshop are at http://www.energyconservationinfo.org/brainstorm.htm .

My presenter's outline is at http://www.energyconservationinfo.org/sept20outline.htm .

Please feel free to pass this information on to others who can use it.

I am also available to facilitate such workshops in other areas. Contact me in private email about this, at bwaldrop@cox.net .

Bob Waldrop
Barking Frogs Permaculture
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org