permaculture - [permaculture] Marin Carbon Project 'Soil Carbon Study Results Release'

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Marin Carbon Project 'Soil Carbon Study Results Release'
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:29:13 -0400

<>on behalf of Darren<>list filter rules prevented this message,
which contained attachments, from being sent into the list

From: "Darren Doherty" <darren@permaculture.biz>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:38:17 +1100
To: "permacultue discussion list" <pil-pc-oceania@lists.permacultureinternational.org>, "Permaculture List" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

G'day,

Following is an note from Andrew Fynn, Project Officer with the Marin Carbon Project. Andrew attended a Keyline Design Course I led in Two Rock, CA last November 2007, that was successfully convened by the Regenerative Design Institute (over 100 people for a 3 day event). That was followed by me introducing the idea that Carbon markets should be developed locally 1st and then globally, so as to encourage local generation of sequestration funds, which are then to be used on farm for regenerative system development..this would then be followed by moves to attract global voluntary offset funds. The incentive with our approach that the more regenerative you are the more carbon you sequester, the more funding you get for doing so. And so the Marin Carbon Project was born. One of the project's main sponsors said, "You can come and visit your Carbon!".

This had to start with some reality though. My close colleague and friend Abe Collins (www.carbonfarmersofamerica.com) and I led facilitated workshops with targeted stakeholders of various educational, governmental, and organic agricultural sector institutions to determine the best way forward. We used a facilitation method normally reserved for conflict resolution where 'best and worst possible outcomes' were at times uncomfortably 'extracted' with questions of the 'effects on Marin County of not building soil carbon versus building' it were asked among a many others. The main determinations that came out of this process were around how much and for what price could atmospheric carbon be stored in the agricultural soils of Marin County? This led to a 16 farm study by the University of California, the results of which are going to be released on October the 7th.

A parallel though much larger and broader study is also being conducted across the US through Cornell University and was designed by Abe Collins. This will determine on these farms the agronomic potential of using a whole range of soil carbon procedures that are currently known to us. The metric of this is enormous, though will have as a base parameter the use of Holistic Management® Planned Grazing (AKA Management Intensive Grazing) and Yeomans Keyline Plowing.

Those of us currently involved in the 'Soil Carbon movement' are naturally looking forward to the outcomes of this UC Marin & Sanoma study, so we have some planning baselines in moderately brittle environments. Interestingly Dr. Christine Jones (www.amazingcarbon.com) will be releasing the results of a similar Australian study in November 2008 at the Australian Carbon Farming Conference in Orange NSW....

Our informed hope is that there will be big lift in activity to get a lot of this excess atmospheric carbon back where it should be: in the ground helping to improve the mineral and water cycles of our planet.....

Below is the open invitation to the Marin Carbon Project event: