permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Conserving water in ponds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Conserving water in ponds
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:30:53 -0700 (PDT)

Jay,

I’m not sure I understand your concept.  If the area behind the dam is filled
with soil that’s washed down during storms, how then can you use water from
behind the dam for irrigation?

I use stones and fallen over tree trunks to build numerous little dams across
waterlines so as to trap water and soil that’s washed down during heavy
rains.  This prevents soil from being washed down into the river and breaks
the water flow, thus allowing more rain water to enter the soil; however, I
can’t use it for irrigation.

To trap water for irrigation and the household, I excavated a hole in a place
with humidity all through the year.  I put in a tube at the bottom to draw
off water by gravity.  Then I used large stones to build dry stone walls
(well they aren’t really dry, I mean walls without mortar) inside the hole.
Upstream of the stone-lined hole, I filled in the empty space with stones and
gravel to allow water to flow into the walled hole and to filter it at the
same time.  Downstream, I used a type of gray clay (can’t remember the
English word, argile in French) that is impenetrable to water.  In this way,
all the water coming down the hill is first filtered and then stored inside
the stone-lined hole from where I can draw it off into a water tank.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Jay, I’m not sure I understand your concept.  If the area behind the dam is
filled with soil that’s washed down during storms, how then can you use water
from behind the dam for irrigation? I use stones and fallen over tree trunks
to build numerous little dams across waterlines so as to trap water and soil
that’s washed down during heavy rains.  This prevents soil from being washed
down into the river and breaks the water flow, thus allowing more rain water
to enter the soil; however, I can’t use it for irrigation. To trap water for
irrigation and the household, I excavated a hole in a place with humidity all
through the year.  I put in a tube at the bottom to draw off water by
gravity.  Then I used large stones to build dry stone walls (well they aren’t
really dry, I mean walls without mortar) inside the hole.  Upstream of the
stone-lined hole, I fill in the empty space with stones and gravel to allow
water to flow into the walled hole
and to filter it at the same time.  Downstream, I used a type of gray clay
(can’t remember the English word, argile in French) that is impenetrable to
water.  In this way, all the water coming down the hill is first filtered and
then stored inside the stone-lined hole from where I can draw it off into a
water tank.  On Wednesday 27 August 2008 03:27:17 pm Dieter Brand wrote:> I
live in the South of Portugal. > Rainfall May through September:  0 inches. >
This is not a drought it is the regular dry season. > A drought is when the
winter rains also fail, which happens on everage > twice every 14 years. >
Most people around here have artificial lakes.  A bulldozer will close a >
small valley with a dam and then compact the soil.  In some places the soil >
holds the water well, in other places the lake bottom leaks so much that it>
runs dry before the summer is over even without using any water for >
irrigation.  It's a bit of gamble.  To have
any effect it needs to be at > least a quarter acre in size.  There is no
way to prevent evaporation.  The > deeper the lake the better your chances of
having water all through the > summer. The depth should not be less then 20
or 30 feet. > I don't have a lake.  I try to increase SOM (soil organic
matter) so as to > improve the water retention properties of the soil. A clay
soil with high > organic content has good soil structure and many pores that
can multiply > the amount of water held by the soil without being water
logged. In the > garden, I have been able to reduce irrigation by about 80%
in the last 6 > years.  Weeds and grass are cut at the onset of the dry
season so as to > reduce transpiration.  The topsoil and mulch prevent
evaporation through > capillary action.  There isn't much one can do about
deep percolation > though.  Other strategies include, growing as much as
possible during the > wet season, and learning which crop will
survive with little or not water, > for examples: beans, tomatoes, squash,
etc. > Dieter Brand, Portugal> >  > > --- On Wed, 8/27/08, Robert Waldrop
<bwaldrop@cox.net> wrote:> > From: Robert Waldrop <bwaldrop@cox.net> >
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Conserving water in ponds > To: "permaculture"
<permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org> > Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 3:08 PM>
> Other ideas about mitigation strategies would be> helpful too. RMW> > -----
Original Message ----- > From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>> To:
"permaculture" > <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org> > Sent: Wednesday, August
27, 2008 9:07 AM > Subject: [permaculture] Conserving water in ponds> > >A
report has recently been released by the > > Oklahoma Climatological Survey
predicting that> > as > > a result of climate change, droughts in Oklahoma >
> will increase in frequency and severity. As a > > result, there is a
discussion going on among the > > producers-members of the Oklahoma
Food Coop over > > mitigation strategies. One issue that has come> > up > >
is "conserving water in ponds", presumably by > > reducing evaporation.> > >
> Any thoughts about that? Would aquatic plants > > that cover the surface of
the water help?> > > > Bob Waldrop,
OKC_______________________________________________ permaculture mailing
searchstring

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:39:19 -0500
From: "Trudie Redding" <tredding@mail.utexas.edu>
To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

Pictures, anybody?
I have a small pond, the previous owner used some grey clay they found and
lined the 5 ft deep pond, the water is clear and blue!, of course in order to
hold water year round it would have to be a lot deeper, but this small hole
was dug by hand and lined with clay by hand so in principle it works. The
grey clay seems be near some of the creeks around Texas hill country, I'm
gonna look up argile and find out more, meanwhile would you two consider
pictures or a link to drawings of what you did, I have lots and lots of rocks
to work with.

Trudie
512-471-8044