permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How do trees make rain?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How do trees make rain?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:49:11 -0700 (PDT)

The effects of trees on climate vary according to the region and are
controversial.  In general, trees are believed to create a sponge-like effect
in the water cycle, helping the land to absorb and then slowly release
moisture.  Planting trees is generally credited with raising groundwater
levels and creating or restoring springs and streams, while cloud seeding and
mist gathering are known to occur only in specific climates.

On the other hand, in some areas, trees are also planted to lower groundwater
tables by increasing evapotranspiration (western Australia and South Africa
come to mind, both arid climates).  It appears that thirsty trees, usually
not native to the area, can actually lower groundwater tables.  The overall
effect on the hydrology is not known, however.  In riparian areas, the
effects are even more complicated.  Trees undoubtedly shade streams, reducing
water temperatures and evaporation.  By providing more surface area and
organic matter to slow the arrival of water to the streams, trees allow water
to remain in the system for a longer time.  But I have personally witnessed
stream levels rise (near Big Sur, California, another arid climate) after
deciduous riparian trees lost their leaves.

Another example of the contradictory effects of trees:  soil moisture is
retained longer underneath trees, but once dry, the soil takes longer to get
moist again as most of the rain evaporates off the leaves before hitting the
ground.  Some trees are shaped to funnel water to their roots, but most seem
to merely dissipate the rain.

So, as you can see, when talking about trees, you need to take into account
the actual species and site in question, a basic permaculture design
principle.  Only by observing and testing designs in specific locales over
time can we come up with sustainable systems.

Rain