permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How do trees make rain?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How do trees make rain?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:36:24 -0600

Tree leaves harbor a bacillus, Pseudomonas syringae, that is a nucleating
agent for ice crystal formation in clouds so in effect seed the clouds to
encourage rainfall.

Additionally trees act as condensers of moisture, particularly at night
where cool moisture laden ambient air is condensed on warmer leaf surfaces
where it is collected and drips to the ground below.

There is a reason that a treeless desert produces no rain.

By cooling the soil surface and adding biomass to blanket the soil trees
discourage evaporation and encourage soil moisture retention. The
subsequent cool, moist environment is a perfect situation for fungi to
thrive and build good soil, provide nutrients and water to trees, as well as
act as a water storage in the soil.

Scott Pittman
Director
Permaculture Institute