permaculture - [permaculture] Nitrogen fixing trees in temperate climates

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Nitrogen fixing trees in temperate climates
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:34:13 -0500

Hi All,

Everyone must be out in their gardens because the list is so quiet! Hope
everyone is having a successful season.

Here in the Ozarks it's so HOT and humid that we are all dying, or staying
inside. With the windows closed and fans on, even without A/C, it's 10-15
degrees cooler than outside.

I have a question that maybe someone can help me with. We all read in most
PC literature to use N2 fixing trees as nurse trees and for soil building,
etc. Seems like a fine idea. But one of my PC friends said that in our
temperate climate, trees just do not fix worthwhile amounts of N2...that is a
tropical phenomenon. True or false??? I have not read or heard a single
thing about this being false. If you have read anything that backs this up,
or have any experience, one way or the other, please let me know.

Thanks! Lisa, in the MO Ozarks, USA