permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Perennials that hold their form in winter

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Perennials that hold their form in winter
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:11:24 -0700

I know this is an old thread, and you've probably received tons of
my suggestions:

* Box (Buxus)
* Yew (Taxus) (both have poisonous berries, but they're very
pretty)
* Oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolia) - edible berries, and the
interesting spiky leaves go a lovely red in the winter
* Rosemary ('Arp' is supposedly hardy to zone 5 or 6; needs good
drainage, and should probably be placed adjacent to a
south-facing wall or rock)
* Lavender (leaves and flowers go gray in the winter, but they
stay on the plant and still smell nice if you touch them)

All of the above, with the exception of lavender, are evergreen.

Paul