permaculture - [permaculture] was goat browzing...now just chat

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "lynnann" <lynnann@newnorth.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] was goat browzing...now just chat
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:59:48 -0500

heya there, my name is really one word lynnann...which most folk pronounce
"linen"...but it's pronounced...lynnAnn. so...

Up here in the great Nord'dern woods of cheesehead land...(do a sat google
earth of the area) there a loads of gorgeous lakes...most of which are
inhabited by non-or part time residential folk. This area is primarily a
recreation area...what with the boating, H2O skiing, jet skis and what
not.....Now...there are farms around..but very few relatively speaking...and
if you read about the founding fathers who came up here in the late 1800's
during the logging days and tried to have dairy and meat herds, most of which
died in the first minus 40 degree winter...you'll understand that
homesteading on the lakes "just isn't the ambience of the northwoods". (I
guess jetskis are? luckily we are on a "no wake" lake...so no motors or
jetskis here)

I could have opted for a multi acre parcel in the woods somewhere when I
moved up here 7 years ago...however...my call to service is better served as
(even though I'm also on a small lake)... I am on the corner of two highways
which is good for the magneto which is my garden center. David and I do land
remediation after construction ravages the property...we also do...lake shore
restoration and re-naturalization of shorelines, as most of the creosoted
timbered walls of the 30's and 40's are now collapsing as Mother finally has
her way with them. There are cost reimbursement programs in the two counties
where we do most of our work. Up to 70% of the cost is reimbursed to the
property owner for the restoration and rehab of the property back to it's
"almost" natural state.

I'm very proud of our DNR up here...they are very tough and I honor the
legislation that is incredibly tough on offenders to this fragile
environment. There is a huge "This is MY property" mentality with the sub
and urban population that visits up here three months of the year.... and
so...although I mourn not having goats...I did finally figure a way to have
one chicken for eggs legally!!!...I can have her as a pet! They actually
have harnesses for chickens. She can be outside during the day on the same
spinner augers that my two German Shepherds have for their cables...and she
can roost in my greenroom and give me an egg a day!. I love it...

check out my little corner of 3D carbon form heaven...
http://www.frappr.com/lynnannspathtonature

love and peace...lynnann