permaculture - [permaculture] The Potato, a slideshow from the BBC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "steveread" <steveread@free.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] The Potato, a slideshow from the BBC
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:21:55 +0200

Here in Brittany, where we seem to be developing a Spring rainy season, it is
becoming harder to grow potato's organically, mildew and blight are already
present on ours and have been for 2 weeks or more, despite Bordeaux mixture.

This year we are saving some seed potato's to plant very late, in July, to
try and avoid the damp conditions in the hope of developing potato's of a
reasonable size.

One problem of course is that we have to cut the haulms to stop the blight
getting into the tubers so we never have fruits to try crossing with. Last
year around here was a disaster, no potato's bigger than 8cm* 3 escaped the
rot. We also had virtually no apples, made no apple juice nor cider and honey
was a washout. Heavy persistent rain during flowering.

SteveR

Kenavo,

Steve

Directeur de l 'Université Populaire de Permaculture
Biographie (SteveR) http://permacultureinstitute.pbwiki.com/

Ixquick protége votre Vie Privée !
Le seul moteur de recherches qui efface vos informations personnelles.

Essayer Ixquick
http://us.ixquick.com/fra/?cat=web&query=