permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture sites in the NW?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jody Troupe <jodyt2@mac.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture sites in the NW?
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:49:07 -0400

Hello Sara-

We just checked out OAEC (Occidental Arts & Ecology Center) ~ 1hr north of San Francisco back in December.

http://www.oaec.org/

It was their 'off' time since nothing was really growing and they weren't having classes, so we had to arrange to meet with someone because it really wasn't exactly tourist season. But we got to see the layout of the place and we found the people very nice and informative. It was a very pretty area. They were also working on developing a low power radio station that would broadcast educational info pertaining to permaculture or related topics. Not sure if they have it working yet.

The Solar Living Institute is near OAEC and is also worth a stop.

http://www.solarliving.org/

It is actually a retail store of various energy saving products, not just solar oriented. Their building is interesting - a U-shaped construction with a coiled fountain/pond thing where they can mark the suns movement through the seasons. We happened to be there on the winter solstice and they were having a ceremony. They have examples of cob buildings, a yurt, a bike set-up showing how you can power a light bulb, and they offer lots of classes. I just looked at their calendar and there are a slew of things lined up for the summer.

And, just a heads' up on visiting some of the places, at least in our experience. It would be worth calling ahead so they know you're coming. We showed up at the Bullocks on Orcas Island 3 years ago in early June, unannounced, and found no one there except 2 interns. One very nice french girl was building a cob oven and was nice enough to chat with us and show us around a bit, but we couldn't find anyone else anywhere!

Hope that's helpful!

Jody T

Hello Friends,

I am going to be taking some time to explore the NW this summer, and am on
the look out for permaculture sites that I might visit (as well as other
not-to-be-missed locales). My grand scheme is to explore rivers and permi
places in Nor Cal, OR and WA... eventually taking a ferry w/ my bicycle from
Bellingham up to Haines in SE Alaska.

If you have any permaculture sites or connections that you can recommend for
my journey, I'd love to hear about them!

Much love,
Sara
Sara Benjamin <sarabrookebenjamin@gmail.com>

Google command to search archives: