permaculture - [permaculture] Epicenter: Food Security at the Vancouver Car Free Festival

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jamie R <smartplantguy@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Epicenter: Food Security at the Vancouver Car Free Festival
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 01:54:04 +0000

Hi, I was just wondering if you wouldn’t mind posting
this event to your events list? This is a smaller event that will be happening
at the Commercial Drive Car Free Festival, and is meant to promote food
security (sovereignty), seed saving, permaculture and anything to do with
localization of food production. I’d really appreciate it, as I’m in need of
volunteers leading up to June 15, and for the day of the festival. Here’s my
spiel:

Epicenter: Food Security at the Commercial Drive Car Free
Festival.

-------Volunteer call out!!!!---------

Hi guys, my name’s Jamie, and I’m helping to organize the
event, Epicenter, for the Commercial Drive Car Free Festival. This event’s
goal
is to actively promote food security and food sovereignty in our community by
practicing rather than preaching. I’m hoping for a puppet show (puppeteers
have
yet to be located) to tell the Stone Soup story, for a community soup pot, and
workshops that delve into the realms of seeds saving, worm composting and seed
ball making. Members of the community are being invited to bring their locally
grown vegetables, a bowl and spoon and their own food for thought, ideas,
hopes
and so hopefully, much, much more. Epicenter will be happening smack dab in
front of the new Tim Horton’s that’s opening in Il Mercato Mall, right on the
Drive. You’ve probably already guessed that this is by no mere coincidence!
What we need are people who can help set up the event, do a two hour shift,
helping with cooking, food prep and cleaning, and tare down at the end of the
festival. We’re also looking for puppeteers, as well as people who might want
to help with flyering for the event, and other necessary things leading up to
it. All volunteers, of course, are invited to the fabulous Car Free Fest after
party, where you can dance to local beats with some of the coolest pepe’s
ever,
drink sangria and maybe, just maybe the Sauna Truck will be there. This is a
community event, so come out and make it your own!

Details:

Epicenter @ the Car Free Festival

June 15, Fathers Day, 12-6pm

1st and Commercial, in front of the Il Mercato
Mall

Contact: smartplantguy@hotmail.com

  • [permaculture] Epicenter: Food Security at the Vancouver Car Free Festival, Jamie R, 05/24/2008