permaculture - [permaculture] Growing Food and Justice

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "rafter t. sass" <liberationecology@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, permaculturehudsonvalley@lists.riseup.net, Northeastern Permaculture <northeasternpermaculture@yahoo.com>, permaculture@openpermaculture.org, permie guild <wmasspermies@gmail.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Growing Food and Justice
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:54:20 -0400

Hello friends,

This is a project that I'm very excited about, and I want to encourage folks in the Permaculture scene to get involved.

The initiative is being partly sponsored by Growing Power, an amazing urban food security program w/ an explicit social justice focus, operating out of Milwaukee.

Note that the call for presentations has been extended through Memorial Day - get 'em in now!

rafter t. sass
The Liberation Ecology Project
liberationecology.org
518-567-7407
skype: raughter

Growing Food and Justice for All Initiative (GFJI)
First Annual Gathering
September 19-21, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Mission: The Growing Food and Justice for All Initiative is a new initiative aimed at dismantling racism and empowering low-income and communities of color through sustainable and local agriculture.

This comprehensive network views dismantling racism as a core principal which brings together social change agents from diverse sectors working to bring about new, healthy and sustainable food systems and supporting and building multicultural leadership in impoverished communities throughout the world.

The vision for this initiative is to establish a powerful network of individuals, organizations and community based entities all working toward a food secure and just world.

This gathering will include:

· Intensive anti-racism trainings for individuals and organizations interested in becoming trainers.
· Workshops and facilitated discussions on social justice, community food systems, dismantling racism 101.
· Affinity sessions offered by GFJI members.
· Networking and discussions.
· Committee meetings and GFJI strategy sessions.
· Tours to the Black Holocaust museum, Growing Power and other Milwaukee area community food system projects.
· Delicious local and culturally appropriate food.
· Variety of lodging options, that are low cost including local home stays.
· And much more to be planned!!!!

For more information and to participate in conference planning contact: Diane Dodge at 651-278-6748 or dianefaydodge@hotmail.com

More details in May 2008: http://www.growingpower.org/new_page_6.htm

“You don’t have to be directly involved in sustainable agriculture or food security work to participate in the network. We are inviting you to join because of your exceptional leadership and your vision for our communities, local and global.

“We want you to come away with the physical and spiritual tools, material and non-material resources that you need to elevate your work to another level.”

“We also want you to acquire the training and special tools needed to begin dismantling racism in the work that you do. This is a belated aspect of social justice work that we must develop if truly multicultural leadership is to develop.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------

*REVISED CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS AND AFFINITY SESSIONS

Growing Food and Justice for All Initiative (GFJI)
First Annual Gathering
* Friday, September 19 at 2:00PM - Sunday, September 21 at 4:00PM
Wisconsin State Fair Grounds, Milwaukee, WI
Visit www.growingpower.org for more details

* Proposals accepted through May 12th, 2008 *note date changes

About Growing Food and Justice for All Initiative (GFJI)
GFJI aims to dismantle racism and empower low-income and communities-of-color through sustainable and local agriculture. GFJI views dismantling racism as a core principal that brings together social change agents from diverse sectors, working to bring about new, healthy and sustainable food systems, and supporting and building multicultural leadership in impoverished communities throughout the world.

“We want you to come away with the physical and spiritual tools, material and non-material resources that you need to elevate your work to another level. We also want you to acquire the training and special tools needed to begin dismantling racism in the work that you do. This is a belated aspect of social justice work that we must develop if truly multicultural leadership is to develop. You don’t have to be directly involved in sustainable agriculture or food security work to participate in the network.”

Workshop Topics
We are seeking workshops focused on dismantling racism in the food system, such as:
{ Examples of community food projects led by people of color
{ Social justice campaigns and parallel movement presentations
{ Immigrant farmer and migrant worker justice
{ Building community operated food systems using anti-racism principles
{ Dismantling racism in the media
{ Health disparities among ethnic and economic groups
{ Youth and multi-generational approaches to food and justice
{ Urban agriculture as a tool for dismantling racism
{ Economic development
{ Strategies for developing people of color leadership
{ Dismantling racism training and training of trainers
And we’ll have creative, passionate affinity sessions that will inspire and engage others!

Session Format
Workshops and affinity sessions are for 1-2 hour slots. Two part and shared workshops are possible.
Presentations that build leadership skills, facilitate the development of anti-racism strategies and are participatory and innovative will be given top priority!

Submission of Proposals
Please submit your workshop proposal including a. workshop title, purpose and length, b. presenters contact information, and, c. intended workshop outcomes to Diane Dodge at dianefaydodge@hotmail.com by May 12, 2008. Proposals should be 1-2 pages. If you would like to present but need help developing a workshop proposal, please contact Diane and she will put you in touch with a mentor that can help. Presenters will have registration fee waived, but will be asked to pay membership dues ($15.00).

Train the Trainers
GFJI is also planning an intensive training for those interested in building and sharing their skills as a facilitator of dismantling racism workshops. Details of this training will be determined soon. Please let Diane know if you would like to receive more information as it develops.

In solidarity,

Diane Dodge
listserv administrator
Growing Food and Justice for All Initiative
email: dianefaydodge@hotmail.com
cell: (651)278-6748

'Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable ... It comes only through the tireless efforts and passionate concern of dedicated individuals ... This is no time for apathy nor complacency. This is a time for vigorous and positive action.'
— Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (1958)

Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the game.

  • [permaculture] Growing Food and Justice, rafter t. sass, 05/20/2008