permaculture - [permaculture] nettles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: SArjuna@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] nettles
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 21:32:32 EDT

Spring has been cold here in Wisconsin this year. But, finally, the
wood nettles in our woods are coming up. So they may be in B.C. where Jon
lives, too.
We are having days with a high of 55 or 60 now, with 40 degrees at
night. If you have temps that warm, it's time to look for wood nettles.
Over the winter, after reading Sacred and Healing Herbal Beers, by
Buhner, I made beer with dried nettles. "Earthy," one taster said. Soon
I'll
be able to do it the way the recipe actually calls for, using fresh flowering
tops. I'm looking forward to that.
I do find that all the beers I've made taste better after they sit for
longer than Buhner said was needed. They are much mellower/tastier after
about 6 weeks.
Shivani in WI

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new
twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

  • [permaculture] nettles, SArjuna, 05/13/2008