permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 9-day PDC??

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claudia Joseph <permie@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 9-day PDC??
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 13:40:39 -0400

Hi Toby,
I understand what you are saying here. Ten hours is really a lot of time to ask people to pay attention.
I got overloaded during my first PDC and took an afternoon off for a swim in the pond.
The material can be overwhelming even with the regular 14 day format.

I wonder what the psychological effect is though of spreading out the classes.
Once a month seems stretched to me. Connecting the dots from session to session would be harder than in a more compressed format.

The pattern I use has both some stretching and some bunching. And there is time in-between for participants to mull over the material and relate it to their own living experience.
There is also the opportunity for more questioning, explanation and discussion between sessions. Since I am mostly focused on the course during the intense part I am available to the class all week long. There was e-mail and information passed through the group during these in between times.

I like the traditional format. I think sharing meals together and the social experience of hanging out has a value we can't measure.
There is more happening in a PDC than book learning, although many teachers I have talked with discount that aspect.
How to function in community seems like one of the harder practices to develop, partly because of our history as Americans.
I appreciate your perspective and as usual I am thinking about this a lot. This might be my last 9 unit course if it sets a bad precedent for others.

I can't help thinking of the infamous Bill Mollison PDC where (I was told) he parked a chair in front of the ocean and talked for 2 days straight. That was a PDC.
I have serious questions about the all lecture format. Particularly for folks who have no experience getting dirty. Bill is Bill and now we have to figure out how to assist that body of knowledge to be carry forward.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,
Claudia