permaculture - [permaculture] Gasoline / Diesel tips

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Anderson <activehope@yahoo.com>
  • To: Karen Taylor <gaiasgarden@earthlink.net>, josh@edenonearthlandscaping.com, Flagstaff Permaculture <flagstaffpermaculture@yahoogroups.com>, Permaculture Intl Listserv Post <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Gasoline / Diesel tips
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 07:58:38 -0700 (PDT)

A friend forwarded this message to me about how / when to fill up fuel tanks.
Very interesting!

This is worth reading. Some tips about the growing gas prices and how to get
the most for your dollar!

My
line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some
tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon.

Here
at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we deliver
about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day
is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium
grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of
16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in
the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember
that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground.
The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer
gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your
gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific
gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel,
ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the
service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When
you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast
mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages:
low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed,
thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping.
All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the
fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor.
Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage
tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up
when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is,
the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty
space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline
storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero
clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the
evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck
that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is
actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a
gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas,
DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas
is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that
normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most
value for your money.

Pass it on.

Chris Anderson
Eden on Earth, LLC
PO Box 299
Sedona AZ 86339
http://www.EdenOnEarthLandscaping.com
(928) 202-6649 Cell

"You can fix all the world's problems in a garden"

- Geoff Lawton, in the Greening the Desert video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sohI6vnWZmk

Be a better friend, newshound, and