permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nutcake posts dangerous misinformation about mushrooms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claudia Joseph <permie@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nutcake posts dangerous misinformation about mushrooms
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:37:14 -0400

Hi Rafter,
This post of yours caught my attention before the other more recent one.
Maybe you could talk about mushrooms at the next Open Center PDC.
It would be swell to see you here.

I appreciate your concerns and it is more than a little funny that mid way through my rants about bad PDC's last year I realized that I might be the worst PDC going.
Scott Pittman and I did discuss the short format before I put up the course. He had concerns and we discussed those. And he did respond to your note before he read mine. He sent one off-list and we are in agreement. To me, 90 hours or 120 hours - it is still just an introduction to the material.

I did not know if my format would work or not but I am telling you that last year it did. Many of the students - even some who did not earn a certificate due to absences - are continuing to study and practice the material. This stuff is actually useful! So many people I met in CA were just holding the certificate and not doing anything with it.
Many students treat the PDC like a vacation (in my experience) but I will tell you that most of the people I taught really worked at integrating the principles into their lives.

The 9 Saturday ten hour format developed this way because this is the time that is available and NYC is the place we are in. Everyone here is going full-on most of the time. Weekends are precious moments and folks just cannot give up both days. We celebrate both Jewish and Christian holidays here so that automatically limits the number of Saturdays that are available. And 3 day weekends are out too - everyone leaves. Summer - everyone leaves. So 9 ten-hour days is what we have available.

I am completely interested in more courses happening in locations where the residents are unable to flee in the summer. I have had my own complications due to aging parents. My Dad passed on last year and I go see my Mom pretty often. I have a child in school and follow that calendar. Where you are and who you are with will shape what your PDC looks like. Making the bridge from privileged to underprivileged students requires effort and some patience. I gave 7 scholarships at my PDC. I try to be available to share my knowledge in a variety of circumstances - many of which are free. Putting the emphasis on the PDC is a social status issue. People want the piece of paper.

I am so ready to talk about this - you know I have been since the gathering last summer.
And I am interested in what you are doing and learning and teaching.

Be well,
Claudia