permaculture - Re: [permaculture] An Unreasonable Woman book -Ogallala book

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Trudie Redding" <tredding@mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] An Unreasonable Woman book -Ogallala book
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 10:43:36 -0500

Ok, sounds good, I would like to see her. No the comment wasn't serious,
it was out of context from a previous person.

I'm going to refer to the book Ogallala again and say that while
discussing farmers and a lost way of life, there is a generalization
made, that they all do good work. This book points out that generation
after generation of American farmers have broken every natural or do you
want to call it permaculture rule in the book with their "way of life",
some are so stubborn that they are drying up the underground aquifers
and have been told about it for forty years so I have had a paradigm
shift and think about how we've been told about the "farmer way of life
is getting lost by buyouts and subdivisions." This is all true, but it
is also true that generations of farmers have tried to produce food in
regions that had no water and no rain and have been heavily subsidized
for years and have not wanted to put leaves etc on top of the baby
plants to keep water in "because it doesn't look pretty", don't make
their own compost, but buy fertilizer, choose to have cattle and then
feed them what they cannot digest, or what we now know has parts of
other cattle. I just should put a number next to each of these
statements and you can do some research and find out that not everything
is as it seems.
Please don't think I am putting down all farmers, but as far as ecology
goes the American farmer has done an equal amount of harm as the
American car manufacturers. That being said is only my opinion and not
to be taken out of context. We are hoping that all of us can see the
light and work together.
Trudie