permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Food Crunch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Food Crunch
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:55:38 -0400

A lot of this ethanol argument seems to be based on the assumption, that
continuing to have the numbers of private vehicles we currently have, and
driving as much as we do is desirable.? I am figuring that if local regions
can grow enough biofuels to keep emergency vehicles and public transportation
alive that will be a good thing - and the best we can hope for. I think
attempting to keep tens of millions of cars on the road is a fantasy.? We
will be lucky if we can manage a fleet of small electric cars for local
transportation needs.

Supporting monoculture industrial agriculture producing biofuels cannot have
a good outcome.? We need to return those vast monoculture grain farms
designed to feed cows, make junk food, and now feed cars, to polycultures
designed to feed people and support wild and domestic animal populations.

Larry Saltzman