permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Harvesting and using wild foods: wild lettuce, dandelion

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Harvesting and using wild foods: wild lettuce, dandelion
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:12:25 -0700

I think wild lettuce and chicory are both fairly bitter, but the
bitterness can be reduced if you blanch them by hilling or mulching,
like leeks. Somewhat difficult, because they don't form a really large
basal rosette like their cultivated cousins. And of course the
nutritional value drops.

Two caveats with wild lettuce though: (1) it contains a few alkaloids
that produce an effect similar to opium, and (2) those alkaloids are
poisonous in large doses. Wikipedia has some interesting stuff to say
about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactuca_virosa

And here is the venerated PFAF's take on it:

http://pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Lactuca+canadensis
http://pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Lactuca+virosa

Hope this helps!
Paul