permaculture - [permaculture] wood nettles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: SArjuna@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] wood nettles
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:56:22 EDT

Yes, the wood nettle is Laportea canadensis. If it doesn't grow
naturally where you live, Jon, you can plant some in a moist, shady area and
it
should yield a nice patch pretty soon, unless your winters are terribly cold.

I've seen it where it gets to -25F in winter.
The photo on the u pper right of Sam Thayer's home page is wood nettle.
Wood nettle shoots should be emerging pretty soon now. So keep your
eyes open. As I said, if you see any kind of nettle growing in damp shade,
it's almost surely wood nettle. Touch it and see it it stings!
Then pick (with gloves on) and steam and eat some! If there's a big
patch, eat some of the spring shoots, then let it grow. Mmmm. And 20%
protein.

Shivani in WI

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money &
Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)