permaculture - Re: [permaculture] coppice and food crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] coppice and food crops
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:20:14 +1100

Coppicing and pollarding are usually employed for fuel, fibre and structural
crops, and pollarding for fibre, oil, mulch and fodder crops. Most fruit and
nut trees will not bear well using coppice and pollarding techniques, or can
take years to recover. Occasionally a fruit tree might be coppiced to reduce
its size, but this can be better achieved through strategic pruning and
lopping.
Fruit and nut trees can be pruned and each has it's own requirements
depending on when and where fruit forms (new growth, 2nd year growth, spurs
on old wood 3+ years etc). You really need to research the individual
fruits and their requirements

I have a few pollarded mulberry trees which are regularly harvested for
animal fodder but I leave my best bearing mulberries trees for fruit
production and prune them only after harvest. I also pollard legumes for
fodder.
Ciao
Robyn