permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Inulin and fermentation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Kosuth <prkosuth@ll.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Inulin and fermentation
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 15:59:54 -0500

can you give a more specific recipe and process for fermenting the sunchokes?

Paul

On Apr 6, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Ossi Kakko wrote:

Hi,

I have fermented grated fresh sunchokes with stinging nettle and other
perennial greens and the result seems to be inulin conversion into
fructose. Very tasty but it shouldn't let get too acidic - I will report
more after the winter is gone and I get my hands on them again...

We also have small plot of sunchockes growing with native alders, which
seems to result reasonable amount of good sized tubers in the wild state
more than 10 years after planting...

Ossi Kakko, Fennoscandia
ossi.kakko@kulma.net

It's been said that adding a bit of potato to beans decreases the
incidence of "wind" (fart!). Maybe that would work with sunchokes. If
bacteria in our guts digest inulin, who is digesting them? There must be
some way to get more energy out of them, such as fermentation, other than
cooking them forever. Too many crops recommended by permaculturists
require extra cooking, which means more fossil fuel or wood use. This
doesn't seem like a good solution for a staple food.