permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Groundhogs!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kai Vido <kaivido@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Groundhogs!
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:42:33 -0700 (PDT)

A .22 caliber rifle works best. The groundhog's liver is very good to
eat, though I never tried to eat the rest of the animal.

On the other hand, if you want to keep them away peacefully, I have not
found the solution either. A good dog will keep them at bay, but the
dog needs to be in the vicinity of the garden. Fencing isn't really
effective because they burrow and can climb as well; however, woven
wire or chicken wire will go a long way toward deterring them. If they
burrow under the fence, you could keep filling in the hole and maybe
they'll get the message and look for breakfast outside your garden.

Perhaps someone else with experience will post a better answer.

--Kai Vido

http://seedgallery.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=29