permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fruit tree propagation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fruit tree propagation
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:04:09 -0400

A friend of mine has transplanted wild pawpaws successfully. He started
with young trees, unearthed the sucker and slowly injured it so that the
young tree was forced to rely on its own roots over the course of weeks,
then he dug deep to injure the taproot as little as possible. Even with
great care, the success rate was low.

It would be great to rescue these wonderful trees, but it would be much
easier and possibly less frustrating to buy some. I just ordered pawpaws
from Oikos tree crops- their prices are great and they have tons of forest
garden and native American heirloom crops. http://oikostreecrops.com