permaculture - [permaculture] On the Seashore

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Charles de Matas <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] On the Seashore
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:20:23 +0000

A few days ago I drove out to the east coast of Trinidad. I spent an hour or
two at a beach there collecting seasweed. I got about 3 bags full and
brought it home to mulch in my zone 1. The seaweed should provide some trace
minerals. I think its the sargassum species. There are two species of
sargassum which are free floating, but what I collected was probably from
species that attach themselves to rocks. There is a river near that beach
and I think that the nutrients from the river may promote the growth of
seaweed. I've also found seaweed on the south coast of Trinidad and I
suspect the seasweed there comes from near the mouth of the Orinoco. But
overall not much seaweed washes up on the shores in the tropics as compared
to temperate zones.
It's quite relaxing to walk along the beach, and let the water run over
your feet and clean out your toenails. I looked out at the Atlantic ocean
and realized there's just ocean out there for over a thousand miles until you
reach the west coast of Africa.

Charles
Trinidad & Tobago

  • [permaculture] On the Seashore, Charles de Matas, 02/28/2008