permaculture - [permaculture] Fairshares

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: steveread@free.fr
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fairshares
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:37:55 +0100

Hallo

Not one to often contribute here, I nonetheless follow your discussions. I
have
here taken the liberty of starting a new thread following Rebbeca Joyces post.

I had though that the "Fairshares" notion was simply a Brit Perm thing,
started
by someone (not a philosopher) back in the day to have a sexy soundbite to go
with the other 2. I set my face against it then and continue so to do, my
reason
being that Fairshares is an ethic/approach to scarcity, I design Permacultures
to be abundant, a whole different thing.

Fairshares is a response to the current situation, earthcare, peoplecare and
give away surplus (with set limits to consumption and population) are visions
for the future and an ethical base to start building from. Give away surplus
is
a concept that, for me, is completely based in Abundance theory, in practice
designing systems that work so well with the creative forces of
nature/universe
that they produce "too much", my excess I give away as, if you like 'Dana', to
help others.

I bring up this as for me the above is so radical and leads us along such
productive paths, Abundance theory, Freeconomics (or Dana-economics) that I
feel
it is essential that we don't slip back into scarcity thinking and having to
divide up our meagre portions into Gandhian 'fairshares', that is today,
surely
we are designing tomorrow? It also means that one bunch of people are saying
one
thing and another group something else. It would be great if we all kept
singing
from the same songsheet.

If this has already been discussed then.... oops!

SteveR

www.permaculturefrance.com