permaculture - Re: [permaculture] racism 101 for white american permies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] racism 101 for white american permies
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 00:07:18 -0500

Robert Waldrop wrote:

Politics = easy and shallow.

Permaculture = deep and difficult.

If its about politics its:

easy to think up a reply or a new topic

OK to adress a different issue while appearing to address the one currently
discussed
"I know this is a side issue but its important to the discussion"

don't necessarily have to worry what those on the other end think about what
you post or you yourself,
OK "because its about politics"

is OK if it displaces discussion on other topics more appropriate for the
forum
"I know its not about PC but its about politics and is important to all of us
or should be considered
so and worth taking time out to discuss", or so you want to convince others

shows you think too and have have solutions for "those really important
problems"

allows you to tell others what they should think, again, OK "because its about
politics"
and "you need to be be concerned about this"

shows that you have an opinion and tells others you've thought deeply about
something

shows you have a worldview and are concerned about "important things facing the
global community"

OK to vent and even rant, "its about politics"

shows you are willing to take a stand and "aren't a wimp"

OK to give advice that you'd never take yourself or opinions that you'd never
take seriously

shows you belong and are "an old hand at this game"

and on and on :-)))

I saw a great little paperback the other day at a local used bookstore, "The Book
of Babble".
It is a dictionary of words and terms, buzzwords used by politicians who use
them or twist
their original meaning to fool the public and get special or hidden messages
across,
change the subject at hand without appearing to do so or answer a question
with another question.
Quite enlightening. No politician should be without this handy reference
guide. There are so many
in this book that you can easily find a new batch to use on the unsuspecting
public, ones they aren't
already used to and reject out of hand "this politico is just BS'ing us with these
silly buzzwords, what an airhead".

-- this was an easy reply, didn't have to think much, great to kick back and
take a break from staying on topic......
"its about politics"....

LL